There are an enormous range of activities you can carry out to promote your business online. On one level, you might take online PR simply to be sending a press release to websites which reach your target audience. If doing this, you may need to customize the content of the release to match the style of the site you are targeting. You also need to remember that while magazines work months in advance a website can publish content straight away.
However this is looking at a very limited interpretation of online PR. You can raise your business profile online through the use of social media. You might choose to:
- Participate in forums focused on your target audience
- Communicate via blogs using a system such as WordPress, Typepad or Blogger
- Communicate via micro-blogs: Twitter is the main player, but there is also Plurk, Pownce and Jaiku
- Communicate via social networks including. Bebo, Facebook, LinkedIn, MySpace etc.
- Communicate via social network aggregates like FriendFeed
- Communicate via online event networks including Upcoming.com, Meetup.com
You could also upload videos about your business to YouTube or Vimeo, make images available through Flickr, take part in social bookmarking or tagging of articles about your business through Delicious, StumbleUpon or Google Reader. I’m sure you can think of more ways to use the power of the internet to promote your business too.